Friday, August 19, 2005

Where Clear Vision Costs Rs 30,000


2 weeks ago, I had this vicious headache, forcing me out of work for more than 2 days. Not knowing the exact reason for it...I started identifying some of them... First I thought I was due a haircut...Went to SuperCuts next day and cut my hair so thin that you can see sunlight bouncing of my head (2 steps less than tonsure)...

It did not reduce the suffering...I called up my family friend and he suggested that It might be time to change my glasses.

...Last time I checked up my eye, was back in India a year ago. I went to this high end Optical store called "Vision Care" in Adyar. Did all the checkup...Ordered 2 costliest Gold Frames, Put Scratch resistant, Photo Chromatic (Here they call it Transition Lens)…etc etc... For all this, I paid INR 3000; of course only after getting a good stare from my mother. He gave me a Lens cleaner, a fancy box for glasses all complimentary...

Taking his advice, I promptly called up an Optical Store in the neighborhood and scheduled an appointment. On the appointment day, after some paperwork, I went to the examination room, where I was subjected to various tests, Retinal Pressure, Dialation etc etc...Finally it was over and the doctor told me that I have a slight increase in power, so I have to change my glasses...

Now gets the hardest part...Choosing a frame...The store assistant, showed me all sort of durable frames...Nothing could break the frame, Not even if I stand on it...After much research, I picked a Gold frame, something that was close to my previous one. The worst is not over yet... I still have to select the lenses...

I put forward an very intelligent request, eventually I found that it was the stupidest question to ask here - I said, When I put on glasses, I would want to feel its presence...Can you give a lens made of Glass?

She said - "Glass" with a Corner eye stare, literally meaning which part of earth do you come from? ...Finally answering politely, glass is not safe to wear?
After this faux pas, I blindly said yes to all other options...Transition - yes, Anti Glare - Of Course, Special Plastic...ok ok yes..yes..yes

Finally the time to settle the bill...She said the cost of frame, lens blah..blah..etc...totals upto $700 and after the insurance coverage, it comes to $300 out of my own pocket...At that moment, I thanked the person who found this good concept called Insurance...

I finally took a oath, Never to get sick again...Never in the land of opportunities...

2 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, August 19, 2005, Blogger eyeStreet times said...

hahaha !! that was hilarious. Lens made of glass !!!??? what a questions !! :-))))))

 
At 11:31 AM, August 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At last...ur service to "Insurance Domain" was promptly rewarded by god ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home