Friday, September 23, 2005

Good News - I got Engaged

Reading a book more than 30 pages was never my cup of coffee. All atempts from my close friends to make me read a book till date had been unsuccessful. During my trip to US Open (Thanks to my friend VKE, I got a chance to read the first chapter of Engaging India by Strobe Talbott and something in the book got me interested.

Is it the Pakistan bashing or Is it the carefully selected titles of the chapter..I really dont know...

First thing I did coming back from the trip was to order the book in Amazon using Expedite shipping. It raised couple of eyebrows in my friends circle, because I was doing something which is not characteristic of me. Before I knew, I was reading a 270 page book on the series of talks Jaswant Singh and Strobe Talbott had after India announced itself as a nuclear power.

It gives a good picture of how US tried to play the sanctions card to make India sign CTBT/NPT and how we resisted from doing it. After reading this book, I got really impressed by the way BJP especially Jaswant handled the whole Pokhran II.

The book starts with USA having upperhand in the negotiations, but when we get to fag end of the book...We get a feel of US begging India to sign CTBT/NPT or atleast give a timetable on when India is planning to do so.

I have always been impressed the way Jaswant handles the media back in India...After this book which depicts his diplomatic strenghts, I have started admiring him.

Now that my book reading jinx is broken, I am planning to read couple more on India's Nuclear Program (Weapons of Peace - Raj Chengappa)and one by Strobe Talbott on September 11 attacks (Age of Terror)

Engaging India had me Engaged

17 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, September 24, 2005, Blogger Adaengappa !! said...

Hey, Were u at NY for US Open ?..Missed you !!

Thanks for letting me know about the book..Will catchup as time permits.

 
At 7:44 PM, September 24, 2005, Blogger eyeStreet times said...

dude...thats amazing. Happy to know that u liked the book and do tell that friend of yours who unsuccessfully tried to persuade you to read books, that success has finally arrived !

Let me know how the rest of the reading goes.

 
At 7:45 PM, September 24, 2005, Blogger eyeStreet times said...

btw...what a title !!

 
At 9:42 PM, September 24, 2005, Blogger Shiva said...

ah/ so Vke is preaching his political views subtly huh !? Next time when you are in DC, I will give you pointers to some other books which will make you look at this world from a different angle alltogether.

And I bet Vke wud do anything in his power to prevent me !!

 
At 5:10 PM, September 25, 2005, Blogger eyeStreet times said...

you betcha !!

 
At 8:58 AM, September 26, 2005, Blogger Ram C said...

The title gave a different picture to me.. Even then, the contents were interesting..

To taste the different interests, Check this post of mine. A surprising event awaits you...

 
At 4:46 PM, September 26, 2005, Blogger Rags said...

Adengappa - Anytime..

Vke - Now I am able to really appreciate Strobe's language after getting thru 75% of Weapons of Peace and be there to save me if Shiva starts talking about communism..

Shiva - Lets discuss about it when I am in DC next..

Ram.C - Glad to hear that you liked the post.

 
At 7:12 PM, September 27, 2005, Blogger Shiva said...

rags,

why on earth would you think that the path I would show is that of communism ? See, Vke spoils your mind and my image :)..

We will discuss while you are in DC.. there are certain other perspectives that might interest you, I promise.

 
At 8:01 PM, September 27, 2005, Blogger The Doodler said...

Hey, you are getting me hooked on this book..Considering that i already have a long read list, this is bad news..:)

 
At 10:36 AM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Rags said...

Shiva,

Knowing the way Esh thinks, I thought that you were into communism.. I am looking forward to your meeting in DC...

Latest update - I fall asleep for 30 mins for every 10 pages of Raj Chengappa book.

 
At 5:12 PM, September 28, 2005, Blogger Rags said...

Hey Subha - What is the number for this book in the long list on must reads..

 
At 9:23 PM, September 30, 2005, Blogger Arvind Srinivasan said...

Rags,

Good to know you are liking a book - engagement seri - eppo dum dum dum ? ;)

Find my review here

:-)

 
At 8:51 AM, October 02, 2005, Blogger Shiva said...

eshwar has pre concieved notions which wont change.. reading the communist manifesto wouldnt make anybody a communist. It is like saying that eshwar is a pakistani because he reads Dawn or we are all americans jst because we watch hollywood movies :)

 
At 11:52 AM, October 02, 2005, Blogger Rags said...

Nethi Adi...VKE whats your response???

 
At 8:31 PM, October 02, 2005, Blogger eyeStreet times said...

My response is simple. Go and check Siva's profile in orkut. And see what it says for political affiliations.

 
At 9:17 PM, October 02, 2005, Blogger Shiva said...

well well, we know I can respond much better and much damaging but I think will stop it here :)!

 
At 10:59 PM, October 02, 2005, Blogger Shiva said...

and btw, the www.politicalcompass.org test shows me a left-libertarian and Iam not ashamed of that 'coz the space is shared by Gandhi as well ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home